Saturday, March 3, 2012

The Dharma Initiative

Many of you have been picturing the tv show "Lost" when thinking of Midway and so did I when reading about it.  I thought it was funny to find out that our supply ship was named the Kahana which was also the name of the ship on Lost and so it added to the mystery of the island.  Well the supply ship came in yesterday and the reason it has the same name is because it's the same ship! 
So fun.  The crew is in the dvd extras and a couple of the guys were used as extras on the show as well.  Somehow they fit 125 cast and crew on the ship with all the equipment and stuff.  Very cool.  They always raise the Jolly Roger when the they come into harbor.  Hilarious.
The ship mainly services the Northern Hawaiian islands.  They said if the timing is right we could potentially go back with them on the ship instead of flying back but since it's a cargo ship and not a passenger ship it's flat bottomed and so pitches and rolls a lot so I don't know if I'd want to take that journey since it'd take five days to get back to Honolulu instead of the 3 1/2 hour flight. The crew is so much fun though and they are well stocked with alcohol.  They brought a bottle of tequila out last night and many shots were had.  They chase shots with dried fruit instead of limes, which was odd.  Did I mention beer is only $2 a can here?  But since I am only one of maybe seven women on the island I haven't had to buy much beer.  Even though I generally refuse and try to buy my own,  a beer ends up being placed in front of me anyways.  I'm sure that won't last for long though.  I was really hoping the beer had a Dharma Initiative type obscure logo on it but alas, it's just a random selection of regular beers.  There are other similarities between Lost and Midway though- besides it seemingly being stuck in a bygone era and the supply ship, it also has random hatches where I'm sure I'll find something fun.  I thought we weren't allowed in them but I just found out last night that we are so I'll get pictures of the inside later.
Also, one of the few tour groups that is permitted to come here is the Oceanic Society and Oceanic 815 was the plane on Lost.  There was a guy who had to stop here while he was on an around the world yacht race because his mast broke just like Desmond.  The other plane used on Lost was also used here.  And there's all these weird science experiments going on here (really they aren't that weird but just go with it).

2 comments:

  1. Great stuff Jen Jen. It's crazy how many things Midway has in common with Lost!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is what I get for reading blog posts in reverse chronological order. It's SO Losty over there. HIlarious. Dude, take the free booze.

    ReplyDelete